Ultimate Christmas movie quiz: Christmas film quiz questions
By Helen Wright
Hooray! The festive season is in full swing and we felt it was time for a Christmas Movie quiz to play with your friends and family. Christmas movies are the BEST way to get into the holiday spirit and transport yourself to different Christmas celebrations all around the world without leaving your sofa.
For a Christmas film quiz with jingle bells on, you won’t need the help of three wise men or Santa’s elves, just a love of the best movies of the year (every year). Do you know in which American state Kevin McCallister was home alone in? How about where to find the ‘World’s Best Cup of Coffee’ from Elf? Do you think you could answer 50 Christmas movie quiz questions and answers and beat your family in this 2020 Christmas movies Quiz? Let’s go!
HOW TO PLAY:
Complete two rounds of 25 questions from our favourite Christmas movie quiz. Are you ready to play? Grab a pen, paper and a box of celebrations and attempt to answer all 50 questions in our Christmas film quiz. No spoilers! For the answers, simply click on the link at the bottom of each round.
THE ultimate Christmas movie quiz: round one
1. Which famous actor is the voice of The Conductor in the 2004 adaptation of The Polar Express?
2. In the Christmas movie Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, which hotel does Kevin check into with his dad’s credit card?
3. What is the name of the hard-to-find action figure in Jingle All The Way?
4. Here’s a good bit of Christmas movie trivia for you. Which film did Bing Crosby first sing the song ‘White Christmas’?
5. In Elf, Buddy grows up in the North Pole. The North Pole (which is located in international waters) is not owned by any-specific country but, which country sits closest to it?
Iceland, Finland, Canada, Greenland
6. What is the name of the town where the 1946 movie, It’s a Wonderful Life, is set?
7. Which Academy Award-nominated song features in the opening credits of Home Alone and forms a memorable part of the film’s beautiful musical score?
8. In which London airport did Sam chase after his love, Joanna, at the end of Love Actually?
Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, City.
9. It wouldn’t be a Christmas film quiz without John Hughes, would it? The ‘king of Christmas’, John Hughes, wrote festive favourite, Home Alone, about a mum desperately trying to get home at Christmastime. Based on his own experience, which other brilliant movie did he write about the stresses of getting back to Chicago around the holidays?
10. Another top John Hughes movie features a Christmas-loving dad who wants to make sure the holidays are perfect for his kids, but it all goes wrong when his cousin shows up and parks an RV on the drive. Name this funny Christmas film!
11. Which city does The Muppet Christmas Carol take place in?
New York, San Francisco, London, Paris.
12. The classic 1947 Christmas movie Miracle on 34th Street is based on the Santa’s Grotto at Macy’s in New York City. But in the 1994 remake with Richard Attenborough, licensing reasons meant the department store had to have a fictitious name. What was it?
13. Which British newspaper does Kate Winslet work for in The Holiday?
14. We ALL wanted to live in the Home Alone house as kids! You can still visit the exterior of the house today (30 years on and it still attracts tourists – especially at Christmas time), but in which US state can the $1.5 million house be found?
(Thanks to Ben Schumin/Flickr for this image)
15. How old was Macauley Culkin when he starred in Home Alone?
16. Name Tim Burton’s Disney film that combines both Halloween and Christmas.
17. Which Hollywood actor has grossed the highest amount in Christmas related movies?
Macauley Culkin, Tim Allen, Jim Carrey
18. Who plays the very naughty Father Christmas in Bad Santa?
19. What does Mark Darcy have on his jumper in Bridget Jones’ Diary?
20. Which Judy Garland film features the song ‘Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas?’
21. Name the first film that actress and writer Emma Thompson ever collaborated on with her husband Greg Wise?
22. Both were recently listed for sale, but which Christmas movie house is more expensive? Cameron Diaz’s Los Angeles pad from The Holiday or The McCallister’s house from Home Alone?
23. In Home Alone 2, what New York City location does Kevin’s mum know he will visit on Christmas Eve?
24. Which star of the Mamma Mia movies plays Mila Kunis’ (Amy’s) mum in A Bad Mom’s Christmas?
25. In Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, who mentions that they never have enough socks, because people always buy them books for Christmas?
DID YOU KNOW, WE ALSO HAVE AN AMAZING Harry Potter-themed quiz?
For all the answers to ROUND ONE of our Christmas Movie Quiz and some fun facts about the films and locations, CLICK HERE
Or, move on to round two of the Christmas film quiz below:
The best Christmas questions and answers 2020
How did you do on round one of our festive film quiz? Are you still spreading Christmas cheer by singing loud for all to hear? Or, have you turned into a cotton-headed ninny muggins? Don’t worry, there is still time to redeem yourself in round two with a few cheeky questions thrown in for good tidings.
Christmas film quiz questions: round two
1. New to Netflix Originals this year is a Christmas movie starring Emma Roberts called Holidate (about a girl who enlists help to avoid the awkward “Why are you still single?” questions from her family). The film was filmed on location in which U.S state, which also provided the setting for The Hunger Games, Stranger Things and Guardians of the Galaxy?
2. What is the name of the engine that powers Santa’s Sleigh in Elf when there is no Christmas cheer?
3. Which of the following Christmas films is not a take on Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol?
Scrooged, The Man who Invented Christmas, Marley and Me, A Muppet Christmas Carol.
4. What do Buddy and Jovie call their baby at the end of Elf?
5. In the movie White Christmas, what was missing when Bob, Judy, Betty and Phil arrived in Vermont?
6. Which of these non-Christmassy films is not set at Christmas?
Die Hard, Sweet Home Alabama, Iron Man 3
7. In which film does Tim Allen’s character accidentally kill santa and is forced to take over the role?
8. This could be a tricky one for in our Christmas movie quiz… Next to which famous market in London does Bridget Jones live in the movie franchise?
9. Which pop star has a cameo in Last Christmas as an audience member at the homeless shelter Christmas concert?
10. In the Czech Republic, what film literally translates to ‘santa is a pervert’?
11. Which of these actors has never played Father Christmas?
Ben Affleck, Kurt Russell, Mel Gibson, Tom Hanks
12. Which 2004 Christmas film was predominantly filmed in Yorkshire, England?
13. Name the Disney+ Christmas movie where Santa is played by female actress Anna Kendrick
14. In Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, which sunny destination are the family headed to when Kevin gets on the wrong plane at the airport?
15. In which truly dreadful Netflix original Christmas film does a high school teacher fall in love with a medieval knight?
16. Which cult Christmas film features the catchphrase Yippee Ki-yay?
17. Which festive horror film sees a horned monster unleashed if children lose their Christmas spirit?
18. Which popular Christmas movie features a cameo by Donald Trump?
19. Other than sharing a Christmas theme, what do Love Actually and Die Hard have in common?
20. What famous Disney film do the creatures go to see at the cinema in Gremlins?
21. Which winter classic is only 26 minutes long but has become an iconic animated film in the UK?
22. What is Elf’s ‘favourite’?
23. What is the name of Santa in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
24. The Hugh Grant film ‘About A Boy’ isn’t a festive film, but it made it into our Christmas film quiz because it does have a festive link. What is the link?
25. The song recorded by Billy Mack (Bill Nighy) in Love Actually is a take-off of what hit song by The Troggs, that also featured in Four Weddings and a Funeral?
To found the answers to round two of our Christmas movie quiz, CLICK HERE
Want more quizzes?
We have a fun, multiple choice Christmas quiz for kids with 15 family trivia questions.
Play our really hard Disney Quiz! Designed with Disney experts in mind.
How well do you know the magic of Harry Potter? Play our Muggles Quiz and see.
Do you love Hamilton The Musical? How well can you do on our Hamilton song lyrics quiz
Be inspired with some beautiful holiday ideas for 2021
The best things to do in London for Christmas
How much does Disney World REALLY cost?
Where to find the best ticket deals for Orlando theme parks
What to do in Orlando outside the theme parks?
Where is the best place to go in Italy for families?
A look inside a five-star, all-inclusive family resort in Jamaica.
Luxury for little ones? This secret family resort in Mauritius has it all.
How to travel with a baby – out tried and tested tips
The best things to do for families in Tampa